Pressing on gas pedal instead of brake pedal is one of the most common cause of traffic accidents for motorists. Whether a long-time driver or a new driver can make this mistake when distracted while driving a car using an automatic gear.
To ensure safety when participating in traffic, drivers need to understand and master the following tips.
Cause wrong foot pedal
- Psychological insecurity: This error is common in those who are just beginning to learn how to drive a car or are not fluent, so they are not familiar with pressing the right brake or accelerator; especially when encountering emergency braking situations, because it is not easy to fall into a panic situation, pressing the wrong foot is very likely to happen.
Sometimes it was discovered that it was wrong to press the accelerator pedal but according to inertia, it emphasized more, the potential of high accidents. It can be said that the psychology is not stable, absent-minded when unexpected situations occur, which is the main cause of the disastrous mistake.
- Sitting posture when driving is not correct: Another reason is that the driver has a wrong sitting posture, taking the right foot to hold the throttle, the left foot pedaling the brake. This posture not only makes the body tired, uncomfortable, but long-term will lead to muscle and bone complications.
Moreover, in this position the driver will not have the necessary braking force, even easily confused in unexpected situations.
- Habits of using two legs when filling in a vehicle: For automatic cars, accelerators and brakes, it is arranged in the right direction with the right foot, the most stable sitting position. In case the driver deliberately put the left foot into the brake pedal, this foot will always be placed in a cross position, making the position uncomfortable. When the situation needs to brake suddenly, the braking force will not be enough.
While the right foot is only in the position of the accelerator for a long time, when an unexpected situation requires braking, the accelerator pedal will not release, greatly reducing the effect of braking. Consequently, the car lost control.
- Leave your feet on the accelerator pedal: Usually the problem of pedaling the accelerator pedal, the driver is lazy or forget to move the foot to the brake when not using the gas pedal, so when the car suddenly encounters a problem, follow The habit will stifle but at this time, the foot has not yet specialized and kicked the wrong foot, causing serious accidents.
- Forgetting to remove the gear lever, still in the D mode: This is the third most common cause from the habit of staying in D-mode and holding the brake pedal when stopping the car temporarily. During the stop, if the driver of the car moves the sitting position or leaves the brake pedal it will be most dangerous when there is an unexpected situation to handle the driver will be vulnerable and confused.
The remedy to prevent the wrong foot pedal when braking
- Vacuum leaving the floor: In order not to accidentally pedal the gas pedal, the driver’s seat posture needs to be standard. As soon as you get into the car, the driver needs to adjust the seat so that it is most comfortable, easy to control the brake, gas, hand brake, and gear lever. A comfortable sitting posture will help your legs be flexible, not “hard” when handling situations.In order to ensure traffic safety in traffic, your mind needs to be relaxed and comfortable in order to be able to handle problems arising. One of those measures is to watch funny movies to help you relax. Some quality movies such as HBO, FMovies, Netflix, …
In order to ensure traffic safety in traffic, your mind needs to be relaxed and comfortable in order to be able to handle problems arising. One of those measures is to watch funny movies to help you relax. Some quality movies such as HBO, FMovies, Netflix, …
The driver needs to maintain the principle that the heel does not leave the floor, only use the right foot to control the throttle and brake. At this time, the heel is in a straight position with the brake pedal and only uses the back and forth between these two functions. Keeping the heel of the foot under the floor helps the position of the foot is always correct, avoiding misapplication and especially can easily adjust the force or braking force.
- Leaving the gas pedal – checking the brake pedal: Drivers should keep the habit of “leaving the gas pedal – checking the brake pedal” – meaning that as soon as the right foot is lifted from the gas pedal, immediately turn the right foot to the brake pedal to form habit is always ready to brake in all situations. This action should be habitual even if there is no dangerous situation because it helps the driver to be ready to brake, instead of pressing the gas.
Remember carefully: Lift the foot off the accelerator immediately to the brake pedal to create a habit of controlling the speed of the vehicle.
- Stopping, parking properly: For stopping and parking situations, hand operation is as important as foot operation in limiting the error of pedaling the wrong pedal. In case of stopping the vehicle only (waiting for the red light, asking for directions), transfer to N and pull the hand brake. Pulling the handbrake is never redundant because it helps your legs relax, just put the brakes on the brake for a short time and make sure the car does not drift on the mildly sloping terrain.
When stopping the car for a long time, in a safe position, the driver should set the P number and pull the parking brake. In addition, it is also important to keep the habit of steering the steering wheel on the road when parking on steep terrain. It is also important to avoid the car rushing out of the road or drifting too far in case of slipping.
- Create a habit of pulling hand brake when stopping: The habit of pulling hand brake is also necessary to limit accidents caused by “wrong foot brake and accelerator pedal”. In some real-life cases, many drivers stopped suddenly when they saw a “hallucination” that their car was drifting backwards because the two-wheeled vehicle was moving forward so hastily pedaled. Nhun